Thursday, April 21, 2005

Galway, Cong & Clifden Excursion 10/17/04

Day 3

Though the sun peaked out, the air was chilly and I was glad I wore my silk long johns! Mary prepared a scrumptious hot Irish breakfast that we ate in the cheery dining room. Over breakfast Pat updated us on the local economy and gave us some sightseeing tips to boot. An Australian family on a month long holiday was preparing to take their children on an all day sight-seeing excursion. Imagine their jet lag after a 24+ hour flight!

Steve and I packed up and headed to Galway City, our first destination of the day. Our decision to brown bag our lunches was a wise one as it gave us flexibility in our sight-seeing options. Going to an Irish grocery store was an education all its own. We weighed our own vegetables, attached the scanner label and discovered at the checkout that ecologically-inclined Ireland does not provide grocery bags! I thought this was a brilliant (I’m catching onto the lingo) example of conservation. Brings a new meaning to the word BYOB now doesn’t it. Come to think of it, I have seen scant amounts of litter on the country roads or the city streets.

Yesterday was spent just getting acclimated to the left hand drive, reading the road signs and negotiating the roundabouts. We did both come to the conclusion that I’m a much better navigator than driver and Steve doesn’t bump into curbs the way that I do but we might end up in China if we follow his map. So good, with that straight we set out to enjoy the views and make our way toward Clifden with me directing and Steve chauffeuring.

Though we took so many pictures, I’m sure they will never truly capture the beauty of this country. The crisp, clean air never has a moment to be anything but fresh, what with the frequent rain and the breezes blowing. A photo op presented itself at Oughterard, home of babbling brooks and fragrant pine trees. I dare say some of these sights reminded me of the Pacific Northwest with the lush vegetation and water water everywhere. The farther into the country we traveled, the more I experienced serenity and peace that only nature can provide.
Maybe I missed my calling, but those sheep (and there were a lot of them) were so cute! I never grew tired of seeing them grazing and milling about in the many meadows we drove by.

Our next stop was Ashford Castle which was once owned by the Guinness beer family. We strolled down the most pleasant forested lane which led to enormous green grounds of the castle itself. Stopping for a spot of tea, we soaked in the beauty and the history of the site and admired the panoramic view as well.

Ah yes, the pot of gold at the end of those rainbows! We managed to capture the first one on film while on the drive to Cong Abbey. I was certain a leprechaun was just waiting for us to discover him. Steve swore he was probably eating Lucky Charms cereal. Pink hearts, yellow moons….



The town of Cong is famous on two counts. John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara filmed The Quiet Man here 50 years ago. We came to see the Gothic/ Romanesque style ruins of Cong Abbey. Built in the late 1100’s, the high mass commonly had a procession of Augustinian monks. We could sense the history here as we walked through the cemetery and gazed upon the ancient walls and arches.

Moo-ve cows, will you moo-ve!!?? Check out the rush hour traffic! Frankly, I think they were rather perturbed that we would dare try to share their road. What a life eating lush Irish grass and chewing their Irish cud. Cows and sheep, cows and sheep, if they aren’t the national animals, they should be.
Once back in Clifden, we came upon the incredible Abbeyglen Castle, built in 1832 by John d'Arcy. He founded the town of Clifden in 1812, and was considered a leader of the community who was frequently consulted by the local constabulary in time of trouble or unrest. Following d'Arcy's death, his son Mitchen sold the property to the Irish Church Mission Society in 1854. As a result of the Famine the estate hit troubled times and the property fell derelict. In 1969, the Joyce family owners sold the property to the Hughes family, who through the years has improved the castle and gardens to their present state.
The grounds were expansive and La-de-dah - our room was a suite with a fireplace, sitting room and four poster bed. Queen Karen I called myself. Off with their heads! Just give me a little power and look what happens to me! At least Gilbert, the wonder parrot wasn’t afraid of little ole me. Perhaps he looks shy in this picture, but trust me, when I turned to head to the dining room, he’d screech past his lung capacity!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home